Monday, January 19, 2015

"What Grammar and Puncuation Issues do You, as a Writer, Need to Focus on this Semester?"

I would say that one of the biggest issues I have as a writer -- in regard to grammar -- is that I usually only use dashes or commas. I think that taking this class will help me to be able to use many different types of grammatical tools with confidence instead of being unsure if I am using one correctly. One of the main types of punctuation I am never sure if I am using correctly is the colon. I understand that whatever is written after a colon has to relate back to what was previously said in the sentence, but I am still unsure when it is necessary or useful to use that type of punctuation. I can't remember much formal grammar education that I have received; any education I have received was simply worksheets as well.

Basically I feel like I have an idea how to use different punctuation and grammar correctly, but my formal education never provided me with the confidence I needed to be able to use these tools to their fullest abilities. That is why I like the approach that Grammar Alive! takes, in that it recognizes the inefficiency of worksheets, and the need to relate grammar to real life situations.

2 comments:

  1. Taylor,

    Great job experimenting with the dash and semicolon--both are used well here. And we'll take lots of time to practice when to use these types of punctuation, not just the rules.

    For the next blog, please be sure to expand your thoughts to meet the minimum word count (this is about half that). You need to have text in order to experiment!

    Good to have you in class,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete