Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Ch. 7 Response

Sentence diagramming seems to be a good way to help students understand (for visual learners at least) the structure of sentences [an aside set off by parentheses; I used parentheses to insert a little detail that adds to the point of my sentence]. While I did not completely understand the way that the sentence diagramming was structured, I was able to get an idea of how I would be able to utilize this technique in order to give my students a better overall understanding of the way that sentences are formed and how different parts of grammar are to be used in conjunction with the rest of the sentence. Of course, I myself need a better understanding of how sentence diagramming works before I am able to use it and teach my students how to use this method as well [reflexive pronoun to show emphasis].

I think that one of the biggest difficulties with teaching sentence diagramming is understanding it actually. It uses a language of its own almost, at least it uses symbols in a way that directly correlate to an understood meaning, much like a key for a map. In a sense, sentence diagramming really is a map, it is just simply a map that is meant to show the directions of how to structure a sentence.

There are many reasons someone would have difficulties understanding sentence diagramming though: They could not understand the symbols used to denote certain meaning within the context of the diagram, they could be confused on how to properly use a certain part of grammar, they could simply have difficulty remembering the correct way to structure the diagram as well--there are a multitude of reasons why sentence diagramming cold be difficult for a student to learn [last and cut off of the list; I used a dash in order to offset the interrupted flow of the sentence].

Despite the difficulty in learning sentence diagramming, I believe that it could still be a valuable tool, although its initial complexity is certainly something that is going to be hard for some students to work past. Visual learners especially be gain the most information from sentence diagramming. The disadvantages of sentence diagramming is that some students may find that it is counter-intuitive to their own personal learning philosophy. If a person just doesn't learn well visually, sentence diagramming is only going to serve to confuse the student instead of help them. I think it will be important during sentence diagramming to be able to recognize the certain strengths and weaknesses that each student posses in regards to learning styles and then to utilize that information in a manner that allows one to teach to each student the best way for that student personally.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your approach to sentence diagramming from an individual student learning perspective. You're writing is strong, and I can clearly see your investment to complex learning styles- and important attribute for future teachers. It's awesome to read my classmates writing when they are as passionate about English as I am! You distinctly classified the negativities regarding sentence diagramming regarding non-visual learners however, your statement: "sentence diagramming is only going to serve to confuse the student instead of help them," was somewhat subjective and I would be aware of that in your future writings. Not all students can properly classify themselves to one learning style or another, and while they may tactically learn well- sentence diagramming could still be useful to them.
    All in all, great response Taylor, it was a pleasure reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete